Local Media

MORRISON’S $3 BILLION URBAN CONGESTION RORT SEES IPSWICH MISS OUT AGAIN

February 25, 2020

Scott Morrison has been busted taking his rorts to the streets, with over 83 percent of $3 billion allocated from the Urban Congestion Fund going to LNP and marginal seats.

 

While every LNP seat in Brisbane received funding, not a single project was announced to tackle rising congestion within Ipswich.

 

Announced in the lead up to last year’s election, Scott Morrison’s Government promised billions to “address pinch points and last-mile access to ports, airports and freight hubs”.

 

Shadow Minister for Infrastructure, Catherine King said: “Scott Morrison’s response to rising traffic congestion across Australia was to systematically rort billions of taxpayers’ money for his own political purposes.”

 

“He then used a further $17 million of taxpayer funds on pre-election advertisements to tell us how good it was,” Ms King said.

 

Member for Blair, Shayne Neumann said: “The people of the Ipswich have had enough of Scott Morrison’s rorts.”

 

“Does the Prime Minister seriously think Ipswich residents don’t face traffic congestion and road safety issues? Does he take us for mugs?” Mr Neumann said.

 

“We are bursting at the seams and instead of strategic investments to improve our roads, Scott Morrison is just an ad man with no plan.”

 

Labor has written to the Auditor-General requesting an audit into the design, management and politicisation of the Urban Congestion Fund.

 

We know there isn’t a taxpayer funded program that Scott Morrison won’t use for his own political purposes.

 

While road congestion in our major cities is set to double over the next decade, Scott Morrison’s rorts will leave families and tradies stuck in the slow lane.

WE'LL PUT PEOPLE FIRST